Tuesday, April 29, 2014

An Answer to Prayer

Those that truly know me know that I have struggled with my testimony for about five or six years. What you may not know is that I have never completely stopped praying. I haven't made any real big decisions without praying about it first. That includes filing for divorce in 2011 and getting married in 2012.

For those who know my family, you know that I have problems with getting my oldest son to want to do well in school. (He is smart enough. He just doesn't want to put it on paper to prove it.)

Now to tie these things together...

At the end of March, I was at my whits end with my child. I was frustrated that he wasn't applying himself in school. I was frustrated that he never brought anything home. I was frustrated that I had to hear from a friend that my son and her son were not doing well at all in school instead of from the teachers. When my son told me that his class rotation had been changed so that he was no longer in classes with his best friend, my friend's son, it angered me that the change was made without me even knowing it was needed. I called the principal and a meeting was made with her and all of his core teachers.

I left two hours early to assure I would get to the school on time, giving me an hour to get there. Not only did I get there on time, I was half an hour early. Since the school is not near any business and I didn't want to be the creepy lady sitting in front of the middle school for a half hour before the bell rang, I took the drive down to the nearest truck stop to get gas and use the rest room.

On the way down, I turned off the radio, and  I started praying. I prayed harder than I ever have in my life. I poured  my heart out. I didn't have an agenda. I just needed help.

Even though I don't think I got the resolution I was looking for at the school, I did get an answer to my prayers. About a week later, the sister missionaries started teaching our family. As a family, we have done our best to meet their challenges. Through these challenges, we have grown closer as a family and closer to the gospel.

I know that prayers are answered. Through this experience, I also know that our Heavenly Father wants to help us. He is waiting for us to humble ourselves and ask.

No comments: