Saturday, January 5, 2019

Knitting Growth

This year has been a great year of growth in many ways. One area I am very excited about has been with my knitting. I pushed myself harder than I had before to learn things that I had never tried before and started listening to a few podcasts that helped grow the desire to knit more and more. Thanks to a dear friend, I was, also, invited to do things I would have never done otherwise.
I was invited to join a "12 projects in 12 months" group on Facebook where we were challenged to finish at least one project each month of the year. I was not able to do this every month. At least once, I challenged myself to projects that were too big, and there were times that I did not have the time because of other obligations (school, kids, etc.). Over all, I could say that I did finish more projects than I had in years past thanks to the accountability I felt in this group of ladies who were obviously less shy about their abilities than I. I even finished my first pair of socks (tube socks count)!
A few weeks before school started, the same friend invited me to be a test knitter for her lace knitting class online. I was so excited and honored to be asked. I thought I was pretty good at lace. I love lace and had knitted quite a bit of it. However, I learned a lot about knitting from this class. I had heard of some the techniques, but had no idea how they would improve my knitting. I told her when a pattern confused me, and she thanked me and made the patterns more clear (she would have done this for anyone). Unfortunately, I did not complete the shawl/scarf that was given as a final project. It was the most complex lace I have ever attempted. I will finish it this year, though. I just need some uninterrupted time to concentrate on the pattern.
One last big accomplishment I did this year was I knit something without a pattern. I know there are many knitters that do this, but I am not usually one of those people. One thing I love about knitting is that there is a pattern to follow making me not have to think about is. The day before celebrating Christmas with my sister, there I was making a cowl for her without a pattern. I had tried two ear warming headbands that just weren't working for me. I quickly cast on 165 stitches in circular needs with a yarn I was sure my sister would like. It was simple, but perfect. she liked the color and could wrap it around twice. With how cold this winter has been, I am glad I changed my plan.
This next year will be even bigger for me. I have plans for even more growth. First of all, I am going to knit my way through I Can't Believe I'm Knitting Socks by Leisure Arts. I got this book many years ago (I was still married to John), but I have never actually worked out of it. I am very interested in knitting socks, so this book will be used until all of the patterns are knit out of it. Next, I am going to finish 3 shawls that I have on the needles. One is the one from the lace knitting class that I started before I had to devote my time to school. Another one was started when I traveled to Michigan to for my Grandpa's funeral. The third is a circular shawl that I love that I started with yarn I got for my birthday 2 1/2 years ago. All I have left on that one is about a forth of the border (this border is the absolutely black hole knitting). Finally, I am going to finally make some sweaters. I started knitting because I was so memorized by a mom on a field trip making a sweater for one of her kids. I need to stop being a baby and actually make sweaters. If I stop telling myself that it will be too hard, then I can do it. My plan is to make a sweater for Noel first (she is not a small child, but she is the smallest in my house). Then, I will make one for me. If the boys decide they would like me to make them sweaters, I will do that as well. They are not really sweater people though. I know that I can make other things this year as well, but I don't know what they would be at this time. (I have been known to throw in a dishcloth or two on a whim and have my eye on a few hat patterns.)
I am so happy with the skills that I gained over the last year and thankful to my dear friend for helping push me to try things that I had not tried before. It was a great knitting year. I can't wait t o find out what I can do with my knitting this year!

No comments: