Saturday, March 23, 2019

Be Careful What You Ask For

I have been struggling with listening to the promptings of the Holy Ghost recently. It is not that I have not listened at all. It is more like I do not trust myself enough to realize that is what is going on some times making me learn some hard lessons. For example, last week we were hit with a snow storm with extremely strong wind gusts. It was horrible. The drive home from work was terrifying. There were times I could not see the front of my own car. The thing is, I could have saved myself from this drive if I had not dismissed the promptings I had been given to stay home that morning. I thought I was over reacting to the rain and weather report. I was wrong.
This week, I made a goal to listen the promptings I was given. I think Heavenly Father was also determined to make sure I listened as well. Wednesday night, I prayed to know what small step I could make to help me get healthier because my pants are getting tighter and I have been feeling bloated and generally having a lot of pains that I would not otherwise have if I were to take care of myself. Thursday, I went for a walk with my friend on my lunch break and decided to stretch after while she changed back into her work shoes. I did something to my leg that caused a lot of pain.Then, I sat down on the window sill to get off of that leg and try to wait out the pain. Next thing I knew, I was on the ground with her holding my head yelling my name and one of the managers of the call center telling me to stay down and wait for the paramedics to get there. The other manager stood between the sun and me to make sure I was in the shade as best as possible. I got checked out and it was decided that I was going to be ok. So many people came to my desk to check on me that I decided to call the doctor's office. They did not ask if I wanted to come in; they just asked if I could come in around 4:00 (about an hour after I finally called them). The doctor determined two things: I was dehydrated, and I needed to take my thyroid medicine. This was the answer I was given. Not a simple prompting. It was more like a compelling. I guess Heavenly Father got tired of me ignoring the promptings as well. Like any good parent, He told my stubborn self in a more stern way that He has in the past so that I would finally listen. So...I have a good story to tell and know that my first moves need to be to drink more water and take the medication that I know I have to take for the rest of my life no matter how inconvenient it is to pick up.

No comments: