Thursday, September 3, 2009

Group Projects

I HATE GROUP PROJECTS!

These group projects for school are getting to me. I hate them. I think it is dumb to make grown ups learn to work with others, especially since I am going to school only online. Doesn't that make it clear that I don't work well with others?

I would rather just be given the assignment a sweat over getting the work done myself without all of the aggravation of working with people who depend on others to do the assignment for them. When there are five people in the group, why should there only be three people working on the project? Oh, wait...maybe adding a comment here and there that really has nothing to do with the project (like, I am really not good at putting this stuff together) counts. Don't say that you will be the leader for that project or document writer and then flake out. Really, all the researchers are assigned to to is the research and proofreading. They shouldn't have to put everything together as well, and if they do offer to help, don't' say that you don't need help because you are getting it done and will have the rough draft posted soon. When the project is due on Saturday, the team should not be asking where the rough draft is on Friday. (Yes, I know today is Thursday. This happened a few weeks ago.)

I also hate that people can't tell the difference between being mean and constructive criticism. If you don't want the paper that you just worked on to be proofread and corrected, then don't offer to be the draft writer. I personally think that by telling someone that the fist sentence in a paragraph doesn't go with the rest of what is being said and suggesting that the sentence be switched with the first sentence in the next paragraph is not mean. I could have said that the paper just sucked and didn't flow well at all. Instead I made suggestions for improvement. I am not saying that it would have been written well if I had written it, but I would have taken the suggestions into consideration instead of writing back that the other person is wrong.

I know this is a minor problem compared to how hectic things could be right now, but I really needed to get it all out.

6 comments:

Cara said...

I had to laugh at this post, Rosa, because my husband is going to school online, and he has made the same comments you have regarding group projects. He hates them! In a group of four or five students, he and maybe one or two others will inevitably do the entire project while the others will enjoy the credit for the work completed. And it boggles his mind just how many people wait until the last minute! He would be more than happy to do the project himself, for himself, and not have to worry about anyone else and their petty excuses. Just know that you are not alone in your frustrations.

Tera said...

When JP was going to school at University of Pheonix he complained about group projects a lot. Recently he transfered to CSU online (cheaper tuition and better education) and he is loving that they don't have to do group projects and that it is individual work. He doesn't feel like his grade should be based off of others work. And like you complain about, he always complained at how much work he would do, and others would do nothing. He also complained about others turning their work in late. I totally understand where you are coming from!

Mistaken said...

hee hee hee, that reminds me of high school. I hated working with others then.

Jami said...

Wow! That would be frustrating... sounds like it's something this group needs, though, to learn how to work together... ;) And I don't think you were mean, that's how I would've said it, too. Keep it up, it's only making you stronger! :)

Unknown said...

I am proud of you you for venting out your frustrations. That's a step in the right direction. I know how irritating group work can be, especially when you don't have that face to face element. If someone is being overly sensitive about constructive criticism all you can really do is remind them that it is the POINT of draft writing and working as a group. Sorry, I know it's hard but keep in mind that it will help you to be able to work in a team environment later on in your career. Love ya

taradon said...

I'm with you on this! I always hated group projects for all the reasons you listed!!