Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"I Don't Like Recess"


I know. No one has ever heard a kid actually say that they don't like recess. Well, almost no one that is...

Sean doesn't like recess. He would rather just stay in the classroom and do work. I know that this is his first experience with school, but Eric liked recess from day one. Most kids do.

Yesterday, at parent-teacher conferences, the teacher told us that Sean is doing very well in school and is one of the few kindergartners that can read. She went through all of his scores from before school started and told us the things that he has already improved on. She then went on to her only concern with our sweet boy. He doesn't like recess. Most days he just sits next to the door and waits for her to come get them. One day she felt so sorry for him that she went out and asked him to help her make copies (he told me all about that the same day).

Yesterday, knowing that kids who don't finish their work have to stay in until it is done, Sean raised his hand when she told the class it was time for recess and informed her that he wasn't going to be able to go to recess because he hadn't finished the last line on his paper yet. She informed him that he would go to recess anyway. He was greatly disappointed. Who knows what he will try next to get away from the dreaded recess...

7 comments:

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

I never liked recess until I had friends to coax me into playing with them. I was such a teachers pet in the early grades that I would help my teachers with all sorts of stuff.

I need to mention that my mother was a teacher and I could read before kindergarten and because of that I wanted to be just like her and stay inside and help my own teachers.

It isn't that bad, I turned out ... normal?!? Hehehehe

taradon said...

What a funny kid, trying to get out of recess! Hopefully as he makes more friends in his class he will learn to enjoy recess.

Tera said...

Ahh, the boy has work ethics! Has he told you why he doesn't like to go to recess?

Mistaken said...

hehe, watch out, he'll be applying for colleges by sixth grade.

Jami said...

I'm with Valerie, once he has friends, he'll be all over that! lol :)

Jami said...

Val, I was the smart kid teachers didn't like...lol I got bored and caused trouble, apparently, in kindergarten. My mom told me she taught me to read and multiply and all that so they wanted to put me in second grade. Instead, she pulled me out and taught me at home until we moved back to Colorado. Then I was in my cousin's class and we caused trouble, anyway. lol!!

Cara said...

Have you asked him why he doesn't like recess? He's a normal, active boy, so there's got to be a good reason. Or maybe he's just an overachiever!