Monday, September 15, 2014

Always Changing

There have been a lot of changes in my family in the past few months. I started a new job, Sean attended he last year of Cub Scout Day Camp, and Chad was ordained an Elder in June. I turned 36 (yes, I am being honest about my age), Eric went to Boy Scout Camp for the first time, and we went on a family trip in July. The kids started their first day of 7th, 5th, and 3rd grade in August. As always, there will continue to be changes in this family we just don't always know what they will be.
The job change was a necessary thing. I was working at Convergys and becoming more miserable every day, and the kids were not doing behaving well being at home alone all day once summer began. After speaking to my manager about the signs that the site was going to be closing, I decided that I was being lead in a different direction. I applied at several positions, prayed to find the right job to fit our family's needs, and was hired within a week and a half of applying at Network Global Logistics as a dispatcher. I now work the graveyard shift so that I can be home for my kids, and I feel like my work is actually making a difference in people's lives.
Seeing my sweet boy attend his last year of day camp was bittersweet. He had a lot of fun, and I got to be a part of that for a day. However, this does mean that my sweet little boy is growing up WAY too fast.
When Chad and I were married two and a half years ago it was with the understanding that he was "never" going to be the priesthood holder that most Latter Day Saint women desire to marry. Because of my experiences with my ex-husband, I didn't want that either. Someone else had different plans for us. It is nice to have such a loving, caring man in my life who is teaching me by the example that he sets for the entire family.
Turning 36 was hard. It meant I had been here on Earth just as long without my mom and brother as I was with them. I got through it, though. My husband, kids, and friends are amazing! The gospel is amazing! I would have been miserable on my birthday if I didn't have so many blessings in my life.
Eric survived his first full week (Monday through Friday) without his family. When he returned home on Saturday, we held each other and cried tears of joy. (I imagine it will be this way when I am reunited with my mom and brother someday.) He had a lot of fun and learned may things. He has a great scout leader that helped him get through being homesick and a best friend that was by is side for most of the time they spent there.
We went camping and fishing for the weekend as a family at the end of July. We had so much fun that we plan to do it again at least once next year (hopefully without the heavy wind).
Back to School Night came with the reality that my baby is now going to the big kids' hall at school. Somehow it is easier to have the oldest in middle school and the middle one in his last year of elementary. As I walked with the littlest of my clan across the hall from the middle one, tears welled up in my eyes. How can she be big enough for this already?
I love my family. I am glad that we get to grow and change together. Some changes are planned. Some are not as planned. Planned or not planned, we have been blessed in many ways.

1 comment:

Jami said...

I think of all your posts, this is my favorite one of all. I'm so glad there is so much happiness in your life! :) (Chad joined the church??! That's awesome!!)