Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Family: A Proclamation to the World

The Family: A Proclamation to the World

About a year before my mom died, she excitedly told me that President Hinckley had read a proclamation in the Relief Society broadcast. She was so excited that this had been introduced to the women of the church first. Little did we know at that time how important it would be as the years went by. At the time of her death, it was still a new thing that was being read here and there if someone found a copy of it. 
In a short time, we were given pamphlets that had this important proclamation printed in it in our church meetings, members were buying nicer copies and framing and hanging them in there households, and parts of it were being quoted in talks about families and parental responsibilities. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (a.k.a. Mormons), this one page document became an integral part of our doctrine.
When my ex-husband decided to leave the Church, I started struggling with this simple doctrine. I felt like it was telling me there was little hope for me and my family. When the marriage was ended, it felt like I was doomed. Even after I married a wonderful man who could help me realize the true blessings of marriage, I still struggled with this simple document.
In August, during a Family Home Evening lesson taught by the missionaries, my eyes were open to the beauty of this proclamation. We read this in its entirety. I am not sure I had done that in the past(if I had it had been a part of a Sunday School or Relief Society lesson where there were many distractions).
As the missionaries, Chad, and I read paragraph by paragraph, I really paid attention. We got to the second to last paragraph:
    We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disinigration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.
All of a sudden, I felt a release. I felt like this paragraph was telling me that the decision to file for divorce was the right decision for my family.
This simple small paragraph gave me permission to do as I knew in my heart I needed to do for my family without the permission of the kids' dad. I no longer had to feel guilty for bringing my wonderful husband into our family. He is the husband and father figure this family needs. He is the male role model my kids need. 

No comments: