Wednesday, April 29, 2015

My Family Tree

Image result for genealogy
I have a new addiction, ancestery.com. We were introduced to it by the missionaries to this wonderful tool a few months ago, but I didn't really get started until last Friday (April 24). Once I started, I was hooked. I have spent most of my free time researching and learning about my ancestors and their families. I even downloaded the app on my phone so I can work on it during the down time at work. 
I just figured all of the research had been done and there was nothing left for me to do. When I was little, my dad and grandma put together a Book of Remembrance full of pedigree charts for both sides of my family. When I was a teenager, my dad would spend his Tuesday nights in the Family History library at church while my sister and I were at our youth activities researching and getting names ready to do temple work. After my mom passed away, I found out that my aunts and uncles were doing a lot of the work as well. 
With so much already done, I didn't know where to start. By linking my familysearch.com profile to ancestery.com, I was able to get a good start. 
The best part about it is that these people are becoming real! I am able to find draft cards, enlistment records, census record, pictures, and more. These people are more than just names and dates on paper to me now. They are PEOPLE. 

No comments: