Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A Mother's Love


Image result for mother's love
http://aaliyahem.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-mothers-love.html
I believe that a mother’s love never dies. It continues on even after she is gone from this earth through her children, friends, sisters, brothers, and other loved ones.
            A mother has the ability to love her children no matter what they have done. I remember one night when my mom snuck into my room and climbed into my bed crying because of the choices my brother was making. She never once said that she did not love him because of these choices; her reaction was quite the opposite. She was crying because she loved him so much and wanted to help him make better decisions in his life. I knew at this point that I wanted to love my children as much as my mom loved my brother.
            A mother takes the time to show her children that they are loved, not just tell them. I have a special way of showing my son, Sean, that he is loved. Whenever we get a moment to have a long hug, I sing to him. It is not just any song. It is our song, “You Are My Sean-Sean” (an adapted version of “You Are My Sunshin
e). It is one quick song sang to a sad boy, who struggles with depression, but it means the world to my precious boy, and he knows he is loved.

            A mother is selfless. She would give up her last bite of food to make sure the needs of her children are met first. She would make sure her children have adequate clothing while wearing clothing that she has been wearing for more years than the kids have been alive. She will sacrifice sleep to help a child who has a homework assignment due the next day.
            My mom passed away almost twenty years ago, but her influence is still felt. My sister and I take care of each other when help is neeed. During the heartache of learning my first husband no longer wanted to be married, my sister was always willing to help me whether I needed a phone call, help with my kids, or even home repairs. She did exactly as our mother taught us to do; she did more than just tell me she loved me, she showed me. I could feel my mom was near us and happy my sister was helping me.
            Another way that my mom’s love is still spread is how my sister and I have adopted some of my mom’s traditions of love with our kids. For many years, my kids enjoyed “cuddle time” just like we did as kids before getting ready for school. They would each get about five minutes to cuddle with me in the living room chair with no other distractions. My sister and I, also, read with our kids and play with our kids just like our mom did with us. By doing this, my kids are enjoying the legacy of love that my mom left when she died.

            More than just saying she loves her children, a mother shows them she loves them. She cries for them, sings to them, sacrifices for them, and teaches them to love others. By teaching her children how to love, this love can be felt long after she is gone.
*An essay written for English class.