Monday, May 23, 2016

Gospel Truth

http://whymormonism.org/3066/truly-liberated-mormon-wife/pinocchio-truth-free-jm
"The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth.
  Light and truth forsake that evil one." Doctrine and Covenants 93:36-37

My favorite parable to illustrate truth was told by President Uchtorf in a C.E.S. devotional titled "What is Truth." In this, he talks about a poem in which six blind men are lead to an elephant (something they have no previous knowledge of). They each feel a different part of the elephant. One feels the leg and describes it to be like the trunk of a tree. The next one describes the tusk to be spear-like. Then, one man describes the tail to be like a rope. A fourth man says that the trunk is like a large snake. Then, they fight about the truth. As you and I know, they are all right in a way. Since there is not a way for them to know what the entire animal looks like, their truth is based on their individual knowledge (the part of the elephant they can feel).

How can we know the REAL truth if it is that subjective?

We can listen to our church leaders. We have general conferences twice a year. The talks given in those conferences are published for us to read over and over again if we feel the need. (My favorite is "Three Goals to Guide You" by President Thomas S. Monson.) The Lord told us:
"What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself...whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it it is the same." Doctrine and Covenants 1:38
The best part about our search for the truth is not only do we have modern prophets to guide us, we are encouraged to search for the truth. In the 2010 Friend, we are taught,"We receive a marvelous gift when we are baptized adn confirmed. this is the gift of the Holy Ghost...If we follow His proptings, we can return to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ again." ("The Holy Ghost Testifies of the Truth of All Things" by Sandra Tanner and Cristina Franko) We are also challenged in the scriptures to ask for confirmation of the truth.
"Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them...and ponder in your hearts.
And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ,he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." Moroni 10:3-5
I am so thankful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am glad that the Lord knows me and teaches me more truths when I am ready to learn them.

No comments: