Monday, May 29, 2017

Missionary Work

First of all, I have to say that I got something different out of this scripture than one of my classmates. Isn't it wonderful how the Lord will speak to us in different ways depending on what we need at the time?
We are commanded to be missionaries. Not just if/when we are set apart to serve, but always. In Isaiah 6, we are told, "...Go, and tell this people..." (verse 6) He continues on in verse 9 to say, "Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart and convert, and be healed." Isaiah is not telling us to "go, and tell this people" when you are called to a full-time missionary. In fact, there is not a provision added to that.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/238620480229538626/

In more recent times, we have been commanded to teach the gospel to those around us as well. When I was a child in primary I learned the saying, "Every member a missionary." This means that we are all to teach those around us the gospel. In the November 1997 Ensign, Richard G. Scott addressed the need for every member to be a missionary. He told us to prayerfully seek for missionary opportunities. He says that we start today to find the joy and excitement of doing missionary work. This can be scary, but if we pray for help, He will help us. It could be as simple as answering questions when ask. It could be as intimidating as correcting the wrong information that people have. Years ago, when I worked in a doctor's office, I had a friend that was searching for help with her children. I did not have children yet, so I really did not feel I had the answers for her even though I wanted to help. The visiting teaching message for that month had the answers that she was looking for. I made a copy of that page out of my Ensign, and gave it to her one day before work. As she read it, she had tears in her eyes as she thanked me for the help she had been praying for. I do not know if she ever joined the Church or searched out any other information about the Church. What I do know is that I was prompted to help her, and I followed that prompting. I know it is not always that easy.
For those who think that they are not able to perform missionary service, Elder Scott advised us, " There are other ways you may not think of as missionary service. For example, a young mother can teach each growing son to prepare to be a missionary to preach the gospel and share his testimony of truth. As a mother and father cultivate that thought through his growing years, he will be a missionary. that is excellent missionary service." This is something I did not even think of as being missionary service. We are told that service starts in the home. Elder Scott shows us in this example that missionary service starts tin the home as well.
We have also learned that doing work for our ancestors in the temple is also temple work. In the same talk, Elder Scott tells us, "...identify your ancestors and arrange for ordinance work to be done for them in the temples..." This may be a less intimidating way to serve those searching for the gospel. We need to remember that they are real people, and did not have the chance to learn the gospel in this life. This is their chance to accept the gospel in their lives.
We have been promised that if we bring one soul unto the Lord, our joy would be great. (Doctrine and Covenants 86:15) We all would like to have joy. Sharing the gospel may be scary at first, but that fear would not continue. The Lord gives us that promise. How often do we know what the blessings are going to be for our obedience to the Lord's commandments?

1 comment:

Mistaken said...

Thanks for the reminder. I usually hate the talks in church about missionary work, but I forget that it can look like many different things. I usually seek out those that are less active and befriend them.