Saturday, May 6, 2017

My Eric

I am not sure if I have ever shared this story with many people. My oldest child was a great blessing in a time of sorrow and grief. I had been trying to get pregnant for about two and a half years. The only thing that the doctor could figure out before I lost my health insurance was that I had hypothyroidism. I had been told that once I had my hormones regulated, I would mostly likely be able to have a baby. I wanted this more than anything.
A few months after I started trying to get on the right dosage of thyroid replacement medication, I walked out on my job and lost my health insurance. I stopped taking the medicine and figured that I just wouldn't be able to get pregnant until we got insurance again and went back to the doctor for the prescription. I was wrong. About two months later, I had a positive pregnancy test! I was both excited and scared. How were we going to afford a baby with just one of us working and no insurance? What if I miscarried (so many people did)? What if something was wrong with the baby?
I worked in the temple at the time. One day as I sat in the chapel, I prayed to know if this baby was going to be mine. I was given a definite answer that the baby not only be mine to raise, he was going to be health and strong and grown to be an adult. This was such a great revelation!
This kid is now 15. He is finishing up his freshman year of high school. He is growing into an amazing young man that surprised me every day.
I had the privilege of watching my son this week play percussion with his high school band. I could see the passion and excitement in his eyes as he played. This brought great joy to my soul. Tears streaked down my face as I remembered that this boy continues to be one of my greatest blessings.

No comments: