Thursday, February 8, 2024

Prayers Answered

We often think that the answers to our prayers need to be some kind of big thing or something obvious. In my experience, this is rarely the case. This last weekend, I was in a position in which I felt the need to live on a prayer for a little over 24 hours. 

Friday night, Noel and her friend drove to Utah for him to get a new dirt bike. Their plan was to leave Friday night and get back Saturday. I was already nervous because of how my mom and brother died. She assured me that they would stop somewhere to sleep if they got tired. Then, the news talked about how bad the snow was already getting in the mountains. She reminded me he would be driving a truck and would be very careful. 

After she left, I prayed they would be safe on this trip. Each time I woke up, I checked her location. By 4am, I could tell they were stopped at a gas station (she told me later they stopped there to sleep). Throughout the day, I continued to check on her to make sure they were moving. Eventually, I texted he and asked if she wanted my stepsister’s or my parents’ number in case they were stuck in Utah. She asked for my stepmom’s number. I sent hers and my dad’s contact information. I continued to pray for their safety and called my dad.

Eventually, Noel was in Orem (not far from my dad). She said she wanted to stop and see her grandparents, so I called my dad and hoped she and her friend would stay the night and wait out the storm. My dad agreed to try to keep them safe, but Noel and her friend just wanted to get home, so they went long enough for her to visit and give hugs before leaving. Then, they headed home. 

Once again, I was worried about my sweet girl and said another prayer for her safety. They took their time coming home to make sure they were safe. She texted me periodically to update me on their ETA. I checked her location a few times to calm my nerves, and I stayed awake until she was safely home. 

When I woke in the morning, I noticed that there were a few closures on the highway after they had made their way through. They were definitely watched over during this trip. If they had stayed much longer with my dad or taken more time when they stopped to eat, they could have either been stuck in an unfamiliar place or been in one of those accidents that closed the highway. 

I am glad she was able to do something outside of her normal routine. She came home exhausted but happy. I am glad that I was able to stay calmer than I thought I would be thanks to the power of prayer. Most of all, I am thankful that she came home safely showing me that the trauma from my mom and brother’s death did not need to rule my life. 

No comments: