Friday, April 12, 2024

Unpaper Towels


As I endeavor on a new lifestyle, I have been looking for more ways to be self-sufficient and kinder to the environment. My latest project is unpaper towels. I saw the idea in TikTok about a month ago and have mulled over the idea since. A few days ago, I found a good tutorial on Pinterest and ran with it using fabric I have had in the house since Noel was a baby, I believe. Basically, I cut 24 rectangles roughly the same size. Then, I put them wrong sides together, making 12 cloths, and sewed up the edges using a stitch I thought looked fun on my machine.Next, I sewed an X across the middle so they will continue to lay flat. Finally, I trimmed the edges and threads. The edges will fray a bit each time they are washed , but I’m ok with that. 

These will be used in place of paper towels in most instances. We can use them to clean, wipe the sides of bowels or pans, wipe hands, etc. They won’t be used for things needing grease such as seasoning cast iron or draining bacon. I really think this will make a big difference in our paper towel consumption which will save us money and lower the amount of trash we create. 

No comments: