Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goals

I have come to the conclusion that there are two main reasons that I don't keep my goals. The first one is that I make them unattainable. Because in my mind a year is long enough to do just about anything I desire, I tend to set goals that are difficult to fulfill within the time that I have. The other reason is that I don't give myself a way to track my goal, and therefore I have not accountability. I have come up with a plan. I am going to set weekly goals for a while instead of yearly goals. There are many things that I would like to do to better myself. I think that by tracking my progress on here and making myself accountable because people do actually read this, I will be more likely to reach my goals.

I am going to start with two small goals. My first goal, and one that I started a few days ago, is to write in my journals daily. The second is to get at least 10 min. of exercise a day.

I have three journals that I have been bouncing around. The first one is a prayer journal. I find that I think better when I write. I seem to be able to express my feelings better that way. I have been writing my prayers like letters to God in a journal. It is interesting to go back and see how they are answered. The second journal is a scripture journal. Until a few days ago, I had only made a few enrties into this one. In the scripture journal, I write down my thoughts on the scriptures that I read that day (this also helps me read scriptures daily). The third journal is just a regular journal. I have kept a journal on and off since I was a teenager. I have don't better at this since my mom's death. It really hit me that I couldn't read her journals and know what was going on with her through the years that she wasn't being much of a mom. When she died, I wanted a way to be close to her, and I was denied that because my aunt threw her journals away. I have been determined to at least try to keep a journal since then. I do sometimes go months between entries. I want to write in it daily, even if I am just writing trivial things.

When it comes to exercise, I haven't been doing very good at daily exercise since the contest that I had with some friends ended. As soon as it ended, I just stopped doing everything that I had worked so hard on. I think that by starting small with just 10 minutes a day and slowly working up to more time, I will be motivated to work harder.

I will try to make an update on my goals and tweak them as necessary weekly.

5 comments:

Lady Carolyn said...

You know, this blog is as much a journal as anything else. You've been pretty good about posting. Give yourself credit!

Ann Marie said...

Those journal ideas are absolutely awesome, I love it! Thanks so much for sharing! Also, I've found that setting weekly goals is much, much easier than the yearly or even monthly ones. I take my yearly goals and break them down that way and it's so much easier! You'll do great!

taradon said...

I agree, the blog is a journal of its own. I count mine as journaling for me! And I think that setting weekly goals is a great idea for making things manageable. I'll have to give that one a try.

Druciana said...

I don't know what I count my blog as. I don't think that I would write as personal stuff on line for every one to read as I do in my regular journal though.

Jami said...

Except for talking about your current boob settings... LOL!!! But, hey, what's personal for one, may not be for the other, right? ;)