Sunday, March 10, 2024

Learning to Sleep in the Dark

The TV was a way to drown out the noises when I worked the graveyard shit about 9 or 10 years ago, and it has been a great way to turn off my brain since then. This has caused many problems. First of all, I struggle to sleep when I’m not at home because there is rarely a TV in the room and the phone isn’t a great replacement or always an option. Also, Chad hates sleeping with it on because of all of the light in the room. Then, there are the times when an obnoxious show comes on and wake us both up. (I’m talking about you, SpongeBob.) I’ve known something had to change for a long time. After all, Chad deserves to sleep as much as I do. 

A few weeks ago, I started setting the sleep timer on the TV like I did when I was a kid. The first few nights were difficult. I would wake up when the TV turned off and have to figure out another way to get back to sleep. I settled on getting out my Kindle and reading. Slowly, I would wake up less often each night. I can now sleep most nights but til the dogs or my alarm wake me. I still read with my Kindle when I need, but that is usually when the dogs wake me and I go back to bed. 

I am so happy with this change. Chad seems to be happy with it, too. Maybe someday I will figure out how to fall asleep without the TV. It would make travel easier and probably make my husband happier. 

No comments: