Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mamma Mia: The Good and the Bad


Last night I watched the movie Mamma Mia. This is a movie about a girl who is getting married and wants more than anything for her dad to walk her down the aisle. The problem is she doesn't know who her father is. When reading her mother's diary she finds that there are three possibilities. She decides to invite all three potential fathers to her wedding believing that when she sees them she will just know who her father is. As the movie goes forth, there are some predictable small twists and turns. Then ends fun and, yes, predictable.
I liked the basic idea of the movie. It was fun and full of energy. I could tell that the actors had a lot of jun singing the songs and doing the choreography. That was the main plus to watching the movie. At the same time, it was also a negative. It made me wish that I saw it on stage instead. I wanted to be able to feel the energy that could only be felt when watching a live performance.
Yes, there were a few songs that felt a bit misplaced or like they didn't need to be there at all (after all it was basically Abba's greatest hits with a story connected). However, I think that the main flaw was that the script didn't transfer to the screen very well. Over all, I would watch the movie again because it was fun, but I think that it would have been MUCH better live on stage. I may have to find out when it will be in Denver again.

5 comments:

taradon said...

I've had the same thought about the movie vs. the stage production. I'd really love to see it live. If it comes back to town, I'll go with you. =)

Druciana said...

Sounds good! I don't think John would let me drag him to it.

Jami said...

I heard it was good, too, but the ending wasn't. Doesn't she decide she doesn't NEED to get married and just ends up living with the guy or something? I haven't seen it, I've only heard... I think that's a sad message to send out to girls. But, that's the way society is these days, isn't it? Sad.

Lady Carolyn said...

Man, I saw this and laughed the whole way through. I don't think I was supposed to though. Peirce Brosnan looked like he was in pain every time he sang. It was his first time singing, but still. it would have been better if they didn't do stage acting on screen though. Meryl Streep was great though.

Druciana said...

I agree with you Carrie for the most part. I think that even Meryl Streep over acted, but only because it was not a live performance. Maybe it was just bad directing.