Friday, December 12, 2008

The Secret Woman


I finally finished The Secret Woman by Victoria Holt. My step-mom, Bev, gave me this book and said that it was a good mystery/romance novel. (I started reading it about 2 weeks ago.) It started out very interesting. There was a mysterious death. There was a best friend that "looked out for" the main character. The main disappointment was that the main romance was the main character and a married man (they didn't do more than talk and hold hands, but still disappointing). About halfway through the book there was another mysterious death and more conflict added to the book. It seemed that after that it just dragged on more and more. More conflict was constantly added with a bit of a story added to it. It got to the point that I just wanted to know if my suspicions about what had happened in the case of the first mysterious death were right. Of course I was right. One person was the center of all of the mysteries. BORING! She ended up accidentally killing herself by drinking the poisoned drink that she had fixed for someone else. It was a very anticlimactic ending to a book full of mystery after mystery. My suggestion would be that no one should read this book unless they really have nothing better to do.

6 comments:

Jami said...

Don't you hate that? You get all the way to the end of a dumb book only to find out the whole thing was just dumb and that it ends dumb.

Druciana said...

I just kept hoping it would get better. I have put dumb books down before and picked them up later just to find out they were more interesting and better in the end. This was NOT one of those books.

Lady Carolyn said...

I looked up other reviews of this book online. she's supposed to be a good author, but this book had very mixed reviews even from fans.

Interesting. Looks like you aren't alone. people either loved it or hated it.

Krista said...

Darn! I hate when a book leaves you disapppointed!

Druciana said...

I have heard that she has some good books out there. I have another one by her that I am going to try. Hopefully, I won't be as disappointed.

taradon said...

Such a shame when a book goes downhill that way... then you're just slogging through to the end and it's not fun anymore.