Sunday, February 28, 2010

Some Courtesy Please

I seem to arive at church late most weeks.  Today I was actually there in time to have heard the callings and releases.  That is if there wasn't a group of people from the other ward (which gets out about a half hour before ours starts) sitting in the foyer talking and laughing loudly.  I would have gone in to the chappel, but on the way I realizes the boys had not actually washed their faces after lunch so I had to wait for them to come out of the bathroom.  This group was not only loud while I was trying to hear who the new Primary President was, but also during the sacrament hymn and the first sacrament prayer.  It was only after I was trying to hush and calm down my, now out of the bathroom, boys that they even realized that I may be trying to participate in my own church services the best I could that they quieted down.  I get that their bishop's office if right off the foyer.  I realized after someone came out of said office that at least one family was waiting for them.  I think it would have only been polite, however, if they had be a bit quieter so that I could get the most out of my experience there as I could.  I would also like to add that it was mostly the adult making so much noise, and my kids would have been in a lot of trouble if they had been so loud inside any building, especially the church.  HELLO!  You are all not only in the same room, but sitting together.  There is no need to be THAT loud!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe your husband should help you there on time so you can sit in the chapel and your kids can practice being reverent. Sorry if that seems rude, but it's just thought.

Jami said...

So you got a new Primary President? I hope she's more understanding and nicer than the last one seemed (just going off what you told me...) :) What time does your church start?

Druciana said...

Dear Anonymous,
Yes that is a bit rude. You obviously don't really know my situation. My husband doesn't go to church. He does try to help me get the kids ready before we go. One of my problems is that I work graveyards. That makes it a bit hard for me to wake up to get myself ready most weeks. I do my best. It's hard to be the only parent taking the kids to church to begin with especially when I got home from work between 3:00 and 3:30 that morning. It is also hard to be judged for the fact that I am late and my husband isn't there just about every week. It is really a sore spot with me and has almost caused me to stop going to church on a few occations. I was there close to on time, but I was waiting for my boys to get out of the bathroom this time before going in to the chappel. The bathroom is also right off of the foyer. My boys are 8 and 6, so I can't just go into the chappel and wait for them because that would cause even more of a scene. I just think people from other wards should be more understanding and considerate when they are still in the building and the next ward is having their meetings. I don't do this to them, and I didn't do it when my ward was first either. My complaint wasn't that the kids were being irreverent. My complaint was that the adults waiting outside their bishop's office were.

Druciana said...

Jami,
Church starts at 12:30. I am usually about 5 minutes late. This week it was less than that. I have no idea who the new primary prsident is. I couldn't hear. The last one wasn't horrible, I was just having a bad day when I called you and vented.

taradon said...

I hate it when people leave anonymous comments. If you can't stand behind your opinion enough to give your name, it's probably because you know you're going to be rude and/or offensive!

I definitely understand your feelings on the loud people in the foyer. Sometimes we've ended up sitting in the foyer for part of Sacrament - whether because we were late despite our best efforts or to deal with a kid who is acting out - and people in the foyer can be SO loud. It makes it tough.

Jami said...

Well, you can call and vent any time. :) I think that's a hard time to be starting church...ours starts at 11am and I have to feed Quin during sacrament meeting. What a pain (and mess)!

Dear Anonymous - back off! Rosa does her best to do her best and personally, I think she's rockin' the working mom thing! Her kids will be blessed for her efforts in taking them to church in the first place and should have the adults BE their example in being reverent. The chapel isn't the only place for reverence, and adults should know better.

Jami said...

And Rosa, don't give up. :)

Lady Carolyn said...

Seriously! Dang. Rosa, I'm almost always late to Church and Richard totally helps me. A mother's work is never done and Kudos to anonymous since they must never be late to anything and most likely don't have more than one or two kids, but I've been there.

Our ward has a ton of elderly people in it and although there are seats, you have to haul your whole family over grandmas and grandpas to sit down if you are later than 5 min early.

In primary we are taught to be reverent, its to bad that some adults forget and others don't enforce it with their kids.

On a side note, we are also supposed to be taught manners. Maybe anonymous might want to look in to that. --and yes, going on to someone's personal blog where they have the right to say anything and are being honest, then being a jerk is very rude.

Don't mess with my big sister, man.