Saturday, July 7, 2012

Random Thoughts About My Kids

My kids are wonderful. They are the most loving people that I know. Sometimes I just look at them in awe of the fact that I am blessed with being their mother. They are growing up so fast that it scares me.

My oldest is 10 and a half. I have a hard time letting him grow up sometimes. I wants him to feel comfortable asking me or talking to me about anything. The questions and comments he comes up with lately are more and more grown up. The thought that it may be time to start talking to him about subjects that I have been shying away from has been coming into my head more and more lately. I want to keep him innocent as long as possible, but I know it is not always possible. He is growing and maturing in front of my eyes. At what age should I talk to him about things like sex and drugs? Even though I know these things aren't a part of his life yet, is it too late for these kind of talks or is he still too young and innocent to worry about it?
My middle child is going to be 9 in a few months (where does the time go). He is so much like me it is scary. He is a people pleaser.  Even though he says he doesn't like school, I know that he likes all of the praise and attention he gets. He can still be difficult if there is something that he wants though (he isn't a robot after all). He loves video games. By this, I mean that when he doesn't get to play video games, he acts like he days was ruined. I have been trying to keep him away from video games as much as possible for this reason. In fact, he hasn't played video games in quite a while. The thing is that even though he doesn't get to play on a regular basis, when he does get to play, he acts like he is entitled to play them every day and pouts when we tell him no. I hope that by me telling him no, that he is learning more things that are fun do. I know he is liking riding his bike and building with Legos more lately. I just need to get a new inner tube for his bike again. Maybe that will help.

My baby is 6 and a half. I just can't believe she is that big already. Sometimes I wonder who said she was allowed to grow up. When I ask her, she says, "Heavenly Father." Who could argue with that? She is so girly it is fun. At the same time, she is my most rough and tumble kid. She is the most likely of the three to be walking around with scrapes and bruises from playing outside. Half the time, she doesn't even tell me when she gets hurt anymore, and if I ask her where the bruise/scrape came from she doesn't even know (her brothers bring attention to every paper cut they get). She loves Fancy Nancy, pink, and wearing dresses. She is picky about what she wears. Her drawers can be over flowing with clean clothes, but she will be upset that she has nothing "pretty" to wear. I'm sure it will get worse as she gets older, and I don't think there is a way around it.

I wouldn't trade my kids for the world. All I ever wanted to be was a mommy, and thanks to these precious babies, I get to live that dream. I am so glad that I was blessed with being their mom. I feel guilty for not being able to give them everything, but I know that I give them the best I have. I still get up with them when they have bad dreams. I cook dinner for them most nights. I make breakfast for them every morning (even if it is just pouring them cereal most of the time). I do my best to find good babysitters that treat them like the special people that they are. I worry about them growing up to be responsible, respectable, caring adults. I take my job as a mom VERY seriously!

1 comment:

Jami said...

I haven't read the whole thing, yet, but I plan on fully educating my two older kids before summer's end about the birds and the bees. And by fully, I mean FULLY. Like, no sugar-coating or leaving anything out... I want them to hear it all from ME first, not their friends or their lame teachers at school who say certain things are ok. Anywho, just my two cents. lol ;)