Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tuesday

Imagine this...You are running a little late for work. The kids are now, finally, loaded in the car. You are still telling them not to touch each other  or speak to each other if they can't be nice. You put the car into reverse to get out of the driveway. You need to stop the car to put it into drive and it doesn't stop. You think, "I know the breaks have been a bit soft lately, but this is crazy. Maybe since I am wearing heals, I am just not pushing the break right." You go on to the first stop sign and realize it is not your heals, you are not stopping here either.

This is exactly what happened to me two days ago. Luckily I live in a small town and no one is taking there kids to school to make the street busy. I was able to safely go around the block, get back home, and put the car into park to stop the car on the driveway (yes, I know this is bad for the transmission, but I had 3 kids in the car and needed to stop it). I made the the kids get into my husband's car and asked him to take the kids to the sitter so that I could get the car figured out. I made some calls, moved around as much money as I could, and arranged for a tow truck to pick me up (I figured that I shouldn't drive until I could safely stop). Then, I decided that since I mooched off of so many people while I was single, I would just walk home. Besides, it was only about a 10 minute drive. It couldn't be that bad of a walk, right? Wrong. I learned that a 4 mile drive may only be 10 minutes, but a 4 mile walk takes me about 2 hours. To make matters worse, I live in a very small town. Most of my walk was on a road that has practically nothing on it. The only business between home and the shop we took the car is Family Dollar. On a day that topped out at 97, that is not great. I was so thirsty. I stopped at Family Dollar to just get a drink. I ended up getting some jelly beans as well. As I crossed a small bridge where there was no where else to walk other than in the road, I walked as far over as I could . A little old lady driving an SUV called me an idiot as she passed by. I can just about guarantee that if I just randomly decided to go for a candy/soda run, I would have gone to the Shell station where I could walk on sidewalks. 

This is how I ended my vacation from work. I of course had to call in since I live in the boondocks, there is no mass transit.

3 comments:

Mistaken said...

That really sucks Rosa. Why didnt you call me. It certainly would not have been putting me out. Sheesh, let me be a friend. I live 30 seconds from you.

Jami said...

Oh, man... that sucks! I wish I would've been able to answer the phone that day! I'm sorry!

By the way - super cute background! How'd you do that?

Druciana said...

@Mistaken. I feel like I have asked too much of you. The last thing that I want is for my friends to feel like I am taking advantage of them. You have been my friend way too long to lose that relationship because of my selfishness.

@Jami. No worries. All you would have been able to to is talk to me to keep my mind off of what I was doing. I was able to talk to a few other people as I walked. Also the background is just from one of those links that you have on your blog. ;)