Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Confirmation





I got my test results back already. I got confirmation that I was right about my body. I thought my thyroid was off, and it is. I was told when trying to donate blood that my iron was off, and I had them test it again because my symptoms matched that idea. After about six months of being tested every other month, I was finally not blamed for my thyroid test results. Also, they finally tested my ferritin level instead of just my iron saturation levels. 

My ferritin levels need to be at 12.5 or higher. It was at 12. That is higher than they were getting when I tried to donate blood. I think it is higher because I have been taking over the counter iron supplements and multivitamins that also have iron in them. Apparently, that was not enough though. I was prescribed a stronger supplement.  Hopefully, this will help. 

Ideally, my TSH would be fairly low. This would indicate it was working properly. When the thyroid is not working properly, it creates more TSH to try to kick it into gear. Two months ago, it was registering at about 20. Now, after taking my meds at the same time everyday thanks to a timer on my phone, it is down to 14. This is still way to high. They are increasing my dosage to 200 mcg. 

I am glad that I listened to when I went in this time. My hope is that I will start to feel better in the next couple of weeks. I know my hair will get thinner as it always does when my dosage is increased, but I am willing to live with that if the tradeoff is my body and brain feeling better. 

 I really like the office I go to, but it can be hard to see the right provider when mine is out of the office. (A few months ago, I saw a PA that was more dismissive than any of the others that I have seen at this office.) It may be time to change my primary care to someone else in the office that is actually there more often. 
 

No comments: