Saturday, November 26, 2022

Mommy Comparison

When Eric was a few weeks old, I was told I was not a good mom because I was giving him a bottle (he was both bottle and breastfed). 

A few months later, I was told I didn’t really give birth because he was bitten by c-section. 

A few months later, I was told I was nothing more than a glorified babysitter. 

Comments like this have continued for most of my adult life. They often play in the back of my head. 

Whenever I see a post on social media where a mom is bragging about her mom abilities, I take it as a personal attack. Is someone saying I’m a bad mom if I made Thanksgiving dinner with only the help that was offered (Noel made the mashed potatoes)? Am I inferior if my family doesn’t have matching jammies for Christmas? Is there something wrong about a family that doesn’t have themed costumes for Halloween? The answer to all of these questions is no. 

My children love me. They want to be around me. I must have done something right…

No comments: