Thursday, May 30, 2024

Me Reading

 

I used to hate reading. I wanted to like reading, but I just didn’t. I was a slow reader, and I always had to read books that were boring. Were there books that I liked? Yes. I loved Judy Blume books, 1984 (I know I’m one of the few), and a few others here and there, but I didn’t have the time to read these books very often because there was so much that I HAD to read for school. Therefore, I saw reading as something I had to do. 

In my early 20s, I finally was able to discover the joy of reading whatever I wanted to read without a deadline. I rode the express bus to work and wanted something to do while riding. (This was in the late 1990s, so I didn’t have a cellphone/smartphone to play games.) The person I was married to at the time suggested that I read and even had a few books that he thought I would like, so I tried it. Guess what? I like it! For the rest of our marriage, he often bought me books. 

Now, I find myself with reading mostly nonfiction with a bit of fiction sprinkled in. I am grateful to the person who help me find the joy of reading. I thankful that Chad indulges me in this hobby even when it means that I have a stack of books next to my bed waiting to be read. Mostly, I’m so thankful for the authors that write in a way that draw me in and keep me reading  


No comments: