Friday, May 24, 2024

Replacing Grass


I have wanted to replace the grass in the front yard with xeriscaping for a while. In 2020, I started the process of killing grass which in hindsight was dumb because it just left more space for the weeds to grow. last year, we bought weed barrier and a small amount of rocks thinking that we could get rid of the weeds and grass and slowly buy enough rocks to fill in the areas where we didn't want plants. This idea didn't get very far because rocks are expensive and we got distracted by other things. This spring, as Chad and I talked about homesteading, we considered the state of the front yard again and knew things had to change. 

We are working on gardening in spots in the front yard (the garden boxes next to the driveway, the former flower garden in front of the front porch, the corner by gate, etc.). However, we still need to beautify the rest of it. (Thankfully, I have a small front yard.) A few months ago, there was a link in the town newsletter for xeriscaping plants to replace grass and lower water needs. I looked through the options and found one that covered a decent space that we could afford. Chad agreed that this was a good idea and aligned with our plans. I ordered a package that was created to attract butterflies and should cover about 60 square feet when full grown. They were ready for pick up last week and have been sitting in my house since Noel and I got them. 

Yesterday, I had a grad plan of clearing enough of the yard to plant the flowers and grasses, put down a weed barrier, and plant everything before we had to leave for Noel's graduation. This was a foolish plan. The weeds have taken over the front yard and have big roots. Chad and I worked for a few hours on it. We were able to clear it for the most part after marking off the area. This morning, I finished pulling the weeds, mixed in some gardening soil, and placed the weed barrier. Then, I pulled out the planting guide they provided and a measuring tape and carefully planned out where each plant would go. I was able to get about half the plants planted before it got too hot. After dinner, I planted the rest. Tomorrow, I will spread out the mulch. Next week, I will place some stepping stones around it to finish it off. I am excited to see this plan come to fruition. 

My plan is to continue doing this each year until the grass is completely replaced with each section separated with stepping stones to make it easier to pull weeds and water when needed. I can't wait to see what it looks like when I'm done creating my dream!

No comments: