Monday, January 9, 2023

Faith Over Fear

The world can be a scary place. There are murders, natural disasters, riots, and more. I have to admit that I let the fear get to me lately. It has affected my mental health. I have done my best to try to not let it affect me. I keep myself busy with friends and family (going to parties, baptisms, doctor appointments, etc.). I listen to conference talks and chapters in the Book of Mormon on a regular basis. I have jumped into my studies. These have all been great distractions, but when I lie in bed at night, I worry about so many things that I don't get to sleep until after 11pm most nights. Through all of this, I do my best to hide it from the people around me. Do they really need to hear about my problems when they are going through so much more? 

This morning, I listened to President Nelson's talk from the Saturday morning session of the last General Conference. In this talk, he addresses the fears of the people. He quoted Matthew 11:28-30: 

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me,...and ye shall find rest in your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. 

I needed this message today before I sink down in the depths of depression I was in a few years ago. The world is not going to be an easy place to live in, but we do not have to get sucked into everything. I need to concentrate less on the news and more on my relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ. I can over come the problems of the world. 

1 comment:

Mistaken said...

That's so hard. That's where I was the summer of 2020. With all the political upheaval and riots amidst Covid, I though I would break. I turned off all social media and news. Now with the algorithms, I never see any of it anyway. But I had to for my sanity. I love you.