Thursday, January 21, 2010

Last Week

Last week proved to be more difficult than I had planned.

Monday was Martin Luther King Day. That means the boys had no school. The good part: all of the kids watched PBS until 12:30 allowing me to sleep until then. Then bad part: I didn't get to sleep after that time. I was a tired mama.

Tuesday wasn't too bad. At least nothing sticks out in my mind from that day.

Wednesday, Eric and Sean each had an awards ceremony. Eric's was at 8:45am (meaning I got about a hour and a half of sleep before creeping into the shower). Sean's was at 2pm (because he isn't in school in the morning). I slept as much as I could between allowing time for making lunch and getting Sean to school. Going to see my boys get awards was fun, and I want to support them when I can. Since I didn't have to work that night, I knew that I could sacrifice a few hours of sleep to see them get their awards. The difficult part came between the awards. Poor Eric threw up in class around 10:45. He was sent to the nurses office. The school then tried to call me. My cell phone had been not working great because I washed it REALLY well in my pants pocket the week before. The house phone was also not working for some reason. There was not a way for them to get a hold of me even if I wasn't too out of it to answer the phone (I usually do answer the phone in case of things like this). They ended up calling John at work, and he tried to get a hold of me through email, voice mail, Yahoo messenger, and any other way he could think of. In the mean time, Sean's teacher tried to waive me down as I dropped off Sean, but I was too out of it to notice. John was finally able to get off of work and rescue our sweet, sick boy from the health room at school. Eric ended up waiting for someone to pick him up for 3 hours. Poor boy!

Thursday went by with no big problems. Eric got to go to his first pack meeting. He had a lot of fun and was actually good for most of the time we were there.

Friday, I decided to go work out in the morning because Sean wanted to play in the play-place there. We went grocery shopping after, getting something Sean and Noel could eat in the car on the way home so that Sean could get to school on time. Then, I had my doctor appointment. That was the WORST experience I have ever had at a doctor's office! I am not just saying that because I am used to Kaiser getting me in and out either. I had an appointment set for 1:25 for a thyroid check as a new patient. I got to the office at 1:10 and waited for 5 minutes before I could even check in. I didn't think that was a big deal. They were busy at the front desk setting appointments for other patients. After checking in, I filled out all of the necessary paper work for new patients and then waited for 20 minutes to be called back (no big deal, right). By the time the nurse was done with checking my blood pressure, weight, pulse, and re-asking the family history and allergy questions I had already answered on the papers I had filled out, it was a little before 2:00 (again, not a huge deal). Then, I sat in the room with a bored 4 year-old until 2:40. At that point, I decided that I really couldn't wait any longer because I needed to be back in Lochbuie to pick up my boys by 3:20 (it takes about 30 minutes to get to Lochbuie from just about everywhere I go). The nurse freaked out and begged me to stay for just a bit and the doctor would be right in. I told her I only had 5 minutes at the most before I needed to leave to pick up my boys. I told her I needed to get back to Brighton (more people know where Brighton is than Lochbuie). She just told me that I should be able to make it (she obviously didn't really understand where I was heading). The doctor came in and apologized and said that she wouldn't charge me to come back, but she wanted to take my blood before I left. By this point I was so frustrated, but it doesn't take very long for someone to take just a little bit of blood. Right? Wrong! When the nurse passes it on to someone else, and they have a hard time finding your veins (thank you Dad for the small veins, by the way), it takes another 5 to 10 minutes. When I got back into the car, my alarm on my IPod was going off (it is set for 3 on weekdays so I can make sure Noel and I are up to get them). My poor boys ended up sitting at the school for about 10 or 15 minutes after they got out of school until I was able to come get them. I couldn't even call anyone to get them for me because of the well-washed phone. I was tired before I went to the doctor's office. I was exhausted by the time I got the boys home. Then I had to make dinner and go to work (it is hard to work a 6pm to 2:30am shift after a day like that).

Satuday wasn't too bad. A friend from work was baptized, so I had to get up earlier than I would have liked, but it was for a good cause. When I got home from the baptism, I had to spend the rest of my day doing the homework I didn't get done over the week. That meant no nap for me. Again, I went in for a 6pm shift very sleepy.

Sunday, the kids decided to play loudly in the hall around 8 or 8:30. Eventually, John made them play in their room and closed our bedroom door. I got up close to 10:00 and got myself and the kids ready for church. We got there late meaning another Sacrament Meeting spent in the foyer. Eric got a car out (yes I am one of THOSE moms) and played on the floor. Noticing that the knees on his pants were getting thin, I told him not to scoot on his knees too much. He of course didn't listen, and ended up tearing holes in the knees of his pants (that is after Sean spilled jelly on his chruch clothes and having to wear jeans). I was so glad to send them to primary and get some peace and quiet for a bit. I don't know if Relief Society gets out late every week or if primary get out early (I'm voting on Relief Society getting out late), but Eric always seems to find his way into the gym to play before I get out and plays (he has been told not to play in the gym on Sudays). This time he had taken his shoes off and thown one up and got it stuck up high. Luckily, Melissa (my firend) was able to get her husband and a few other ment to get a ladder and get it down. I got home, watched John play his PS3 game a bit and decided to lay down until it was time to make dinner. Noel decided afer I had been sleeping for only 20 minutes that she was "starving." After letting myself wake up a bit, I made dinner. She ate maybe 10 bites before she decided she was full. Then, I got ready for work very exhausted mentally and physically from the week, and headed out for my 8:30pm to 5:00am shift.

So far, today has gone better. I can only hope that the rest of the week will follow.

2 comments:

Mistaken said...

I don't know how you do it. I think I would be complaining a bit more than you. Perhaps even screaming. I'm sure this week will be better.

Jami said...

You poor, poor thing! I wish I could've stayed on the phone longer for you to vent on whatever day it was that you called... I feel so bad for you! Especially the kids being at the school and you not being able to get to them part... I fell asleep once and forgot to get Andur (actually twice) and both times he just had to wait like only five minutes, but I felt so awful and helpless! I can't even begin to imagine how you felt! I really hope your week this week is better, too. :)