Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Phone Manners?

I know that I am slightly stealing this idea from Tera, but I feel I must remind people that not only do they need manners while in the check out. They also need to have some consideration when on the phone. This is my list of reminders for the not-so-phone-savvy folks out there:

1. Turn your TV down. You are talking to a real person on the other line. I get that you are trying to watch TV. I work in the TV business. I don't want to have it blaring in my ears however (especially if it is one of those pay-per-views).

2. If the baby/toddler is crying, either go to another room or wait to call. I do get that children, especially babies, cry. I am a mom to three children myself. They are loud. If you are calling to trouble shoot you can't hear me, I can't heard you, and my ears are hurting in the process. Calling while they are crying is not going to get something fixed any faster. In fact, I may get more frazzled and lose my train of thought. That will just make the torture last longer for me, you, and the little one in the background.

3. Don't carry on other conversations while on the phone. It is just plain rude!

4. Follow instructions. If you are calling me because something doesn't work, it is my job to do trouble shooting before I can send out a replacement or tech. Don't keep me on the phone for 20 minutes telling you to push the same button if you are just going the push whatever button you want especially if you have already decided that because I am a woman I don't know what I am talking about anyway.

5. Watch you language! I am not calling you at 2 am because I "forgot" to pay my bill for two months now I don't have service. You are calling me for that reason. I am not calling you every name in the book. I would like it if you would not call me those names. I am a real person with real feelings. I may be on the verge of tears by the time I get off the call, and the next customer doesn't deserve that either.

6. Don't eat on the phone. I get irritated when my kids eat too close to my ears. Why would I want to hear some slobby adult eat?

7. Don't use the bathroom while on the phone. I know we all have to go, and it is a natural function. Please, use the bathroom, then call.

8. If you want answers, be quiet long enough to get them. I am not allowed to interrupt you. Don't go on and on about every problem you can think of and then get mad that I am not resolving your issues or answering your questions. Shut up for even 1 minute so that I can do something it.

9. I DO NOT work for a phone sex line! If you call expecting that, you will be transferred to my supervisor. He is a man. He doesn't put up with his agents being treated that way.

10. Hang up the phone when we are done. I don't want to hear your fight with your boyfriend/girlfriend/children. I have handle time goal that I need to meet. Waiting the required 2 minutes of dead air raises my handle time, therefore reducing my chances of getting a bonus. I know that sounds selfish, but deal with it.

11. Speaker phone sucks! I know it makes things more convent for you, but it also picks up other noises, so I can't hear you as well.

I really do like my job. It is fulfilling most of the time. If people calling in would realize that the person on the other line deserves some of the common courtesies that all other people get, it would be even more enjoyable.

Now for my disclaimer so I don't get fired.

This doesn't reflect the views of Dish Network or its employees.

3 comments:

Jami said...

What'd you do to lose 8 lbs.? I haven't committed to that goal, yet, though I need to. Matt has, surely I can...

taradon said...

It may not reflect the official views of Dish Network, but I bet you've actually captured the viewpoint of a lot of employees! :)

Druciana said...

@Jami: All I did was get back on my thyroid meds. It boosts my metabolism.

@Tara: I know I have capture what a lot of employees are thinking, but if some higher up person finds this and I don't but the disclaimer, I could be fired. Dish Network is all about disclosures. lol