Friday, August 26, 2022

Crazy Horse Memorial


After making a few stops for items we needed (mostly water) and some ice cream (check out The Purple Pie Place in Custer if you ever find yourself out there), we made our way to the Crazy Horse Memorial. This was the one part of our trip that I had  no preconceived notions about because it is not talked about as much, but I was ready to experience it. Of course, it was easy to find by following the signs and seeing the big rock with a face carved into it. By the time we got there, I was exhausted.( I had a hard time sleeping the night before and had gotten up early. Also, we had just done an hour and a half cave tour up and down stairs.) After paying to get in, we parked the car and headed into the museum. There were so many artifacts as well as modern art of the Native American people from all over. I was in awe at the intricacies displayed for the public. As we walked through, we could see clothing, dolls, pictures, and more including a copy of the letter written by Chief Henry Standing Bear requesting this memorial be made to celebrate his heritage and that of his people. In it he said, "My fellow chiefs would like the white man to know the red man has great heroes too." 

As we looked out the windows and stood on the deck, we could see the massive undertaking happening across the way. In the large mountain, a face has been carved and more is being carved. This has been worked on for many years and is still far away from being finished. I am sure it will not be completed in my lifetime. However, it will be even more stunning when it is. 

Over all, this was a good experience, but it was a bit overpriced. I understand what the ticket price goes to, and I will not say that it is not a good cause. It is a great opportunity to learn about this part of the heritage of this country. I really wish it was more reasonably priced through especially considering there is a restaurant, gift shop, and snack bar to supplement the ticket sales. 

No comments: