Thursday, May 18, 2023

Class Meeting

As an online student, I know there will be occasional Zoom meetings for one reason or another with classmates. Sometimes it is for group work, sometimes it is for studying for tests, and sometimes it is for intellectual conversation based on the weekly content. I have never been in a group that I blatantly don’t fit in until now. In my Child and Family Advocacy class, I am in a group of extremely right winged gals plus myself and one girl about Eric’s age who sees the possibility of many things being a societal norm. 

One big part of this class is studying both sides of controversial topics. Out of the four weeks we have met so far, there has only been one week in which I completely agreed with the others. This week, I was able to go into the topic with a different point of view. Being a class in which we are pushed out of our bubble and into uncomfortable topics, there is bound to be disagreement. The this is, my ideas were completely dismissed. I didn’t give up just because my opinion was pushed to the side. I actually became more assertive through the hour. I feel that my point of view can teach others something different. I feel like they can learn they don’t have to be as extreme in their political persuasion to love God and fight for truth. Since I know that will probably not happen, I will have to settle for just counting down h til I can be done with this group. 

I just wish that those from the extreme right and extreme left would listen to other points of view. Some of us don’t fit into either category and are treated horribly for having a different opinion. Opinions are not facts!

No comments: