Saturday, May 13, 2023

Good Mom



I think I am a good mom. I know not many moms would say that this close to Mothers' Day, but I am saying that right now. Why do I say this rather than saying I am horrible? First of all, I am not an attention seeker. There are those who will say self-deprecating things just to hear the accolades that fly at them after saying such things. As I have said in the past, I don't need attention. If I were looking for attention, I would do so on another platform to express myself. Second, I love my kids more than anything else in this world. They know this, and I will live to my dying day making sure they continue to know it. Third, I have done everything I can to teach my kids to be good people. I may not have done this in a way that others would agree with, but I don't care. I have done it my own way. So far, they are all good people who care about others. I don't think this will change. I know I am the best mom I know how be.

It is not easy to be the parent you didn't have growing up. My mom checked out mentally when she had a mental breakdown when I was young and moved out when I was almost 14. Did she love me? Yes. She just wasn't mentally or physically able to take care of her children. No matter what demons she faced, we always knew she loved us. 

I know I have failed as a parent in some ways, but on the eve of Mother's Day, I choose not to focus on that right now. There are people who talk bad about my parenting style. They say I am too permissive and give my child too much. They say I am failing them by being religious. Those people don't matter to me right now. I am me. I will not change who I am because a few people want to talk bad about me behind my back. I am a good mom. I am the mom my kids need right now.  

No comments: