Monday, September 25, 2023

My Sunflowers


 The first year in this house, I planted sunflowers in front of the bay window not knowing how big they would be because I had never done this. They were huge and took over that flower bed as they grew taller than the windows.  I loved them and hoped to be able to grow them again in the future. 

I have tried several times since to grow a beautiful sunflower garden, but I have failed over and over. There were times that they didn’t get enough water, and there were times the bunnies ate them before they could grow. It has been frustrating, but I longed for those beautiful flowers again. 

I tried again this year after getting some advice from a friend about other flowers. I figured I would alter that advice for these flowers, and I threw out everything I had tried in the past. My flower bed that had previously had a few shrubs that had since died was looking sad, so I decided this was the perfect place. I took my envelope of seeds and randomly spread them around. Then, I put a layer of top soil over them and watered them like crazy. (The fact that we had a wet summer for a while helped.) This last week I finally got to start enjoying the fruits of my labor as they started to bloom. (I had a bit of a late start, so I got a late result.) I have loved walking out my front door to more flowers blooming every day! 

Saturday, someone vandalized my flowers. I don’t know who or why. All I know is that the Ring shows my biggest, most beautiful sunflowers swaying in the breeze when Eric picked up Sean to go to a wedding, and they were cut down but the time I left to pick up dinner about 45 minutes later. I honestly would have thought it was the bunnies if one of them had not been cut off at the head and thrown in the middle of the front yard. 

After I got home, I decided to make the best of the situation. I went out and got the flowers to bring in, got out a vase, and cut the stems down to a size that would fit in the vase. Now, I get to enjoy them each time I walk into the dining room which is quite often since it is in the front of the house 

I don’t know why someone chose to hurt my flowers, but I choose to continue to enjoy them. 

No comments: