Friday, September 1, 2023

Not Sure How to Feel

I found out today that someone my ex taught in Sunday School many years ago was murdered in Denver this week. When I knew him, he was a troubled kid who had been thigh some horrible things. I worked with his mom at Dish Network for a bit and enjoyed talking to her when she was able to come to church. 

His parents moved out of state about a year ago, and I hadn’t heard from the since. Then, his dad posted something on the ward Facebook page that if anyone wanted funeral information to text him a few days ago. I didn’t even know this person had died. Today, the Elder’s Quorum president sent out an email with the funeral information, so Chad Googled Matthew Gossett to figure out if he knew him and found out what had happen. I told him that he wouldn’t have known him, but I remembered him. 

Now, I don’t know how I am supposed to feel. I didn’t know him that well to begin with, my ex did. I did get to know his mom for a bit, though. I think at this point I feel bad for the parents. I can’t imagine the pain they are feeling right now. They are nice people that have had some bad things happen to them; this would be worse than any problem I know of. I wish there was something I could do to show them my support. 

1 comment:

Jami said...

Wow.

My thoughts are you don't go to the funeral because you knew the person who died, you go to support the living.

They may or may not remember who all was there, but if it was me and I sat up on the stand or spoke at the podium and saw all the faces of those in attendance, that's something I would remember forever - that I wasn't alone in my lowest of moments. I say go, just be there. They are probably overwhelmed with people and help. I like to give a journal to each of the surviving family members (parents, siblings, spouse). I include a note or a card that tells them it's for writing down memories, feelings, letters to the deceased... something that will surely help them heal.

Death sucks.