Saturday, September 30, 2023

Volunteering at the Race

I finally had my opportunity to volunteer at a race. I have never done this before, but I was glad I did it. There were many events going on, and I got to congratulate everyone as they came across the finish line. It was a blast, and I would recommend anyone do this that has any interest in the behind the scenes of these events.

The event we attended was the Last Call Triathlon.  There was a traditional sprint triathlon, a super sprint triathlon, one in which people were on paddle boards rather than swimming, aqua bike, and duathlon (I may be forgetting something). Chad participated in the duathlon and did great (in my opinion). I was first stationed with the duathlon participants to make sure they were had the proper markings on their arms and left leg. Then, I was near the transition area to try to keep the spectators off of the course and cheer on the people coming in from the beach to the bikes and direct the runners out of the bikes to the running course. Finally, I was sent to the finish line to collect the timing chips that were on the participants' ankles. It was gross because they were sweating but rewarding because I got to congratulate everyone as they stopped for me to get the bracelets. It was fast moving and made the time go by faster than I believe it would have if I had worked the aid station as I was originally assigned. It was fun to see all of the events as they took place. It was eye opening to see this small part of the innerworkings these events. I would totally recommend anyone interested in racing to do this when they can!

No comments: