Saturday, October 14, 2023

Entertainment? No!

I have been watching Grey’s Anatomy for a while, and I was enjoying it until recently. It got too political. I don’t mind things here and there like it was for the first 10 or so seasons, but it got a bit out of hand by season 17. 

Season 17 aired during the pandemic and highlighted the worst parts of it. This was a bit to be expected since it takes place in a hospital, but not to this degree. This was not a fun time to live through, but we did so because there was no option. I turned to movies and shows as an escape and still do. This show has brought up memories and feelings that I would rather not deal with right now. I feel like it is re-traumatizing me during a time that I struggle to watch the news because of the horrible things that are going on now. 

Maybe some people can watch stuff like this and be ok with it or even appreciate that they addressed the many things that were going on at the time. I am not one of them. I need my entertainment to be an escape. This is not. I need to not be reminded of the awful way people can be towards each other. I live in a bit of a bubble because I work and go to school from home, but I do watch the news and know what is going on around me for the most part. 

I will not be watching this show anymore. I can’t handle it right now. I hate that I won’t be finishing what is left of it on Netflix, but I have to draw a line somewhere. I can’t have the show I’m watching affect me in this way. Fiction needs to be entertaining. 

No comments: