Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Confirmation

“We have a loving Heavenly Father who will see that we receive every blessing and every advantage that our own desires and choices allow. We also know that He will force no one into a sealing relationship against his or her will. The blessings of a sealed relationship are assured for all who keep their covenants but never by forcing a sealed relationship on another person who is unworthy or unwilling.“ Dallin H. Oaks, October 2023

When I filed for divorce, I was told by someone who did not have all the information that I was breaking my covenants. I held this guilt for a while even though I knew I was doing the right thing. Years later, I came to terms with this as a learned more about the covenants I had made because I knew that I was not the one who had broken them. 

When I went through the process of having my sealing to my first husband cancelled so I could be sealed to Chad, I felt a sorrow greater than I had felt with the divorce. Not because I wanted to be connected to my ex husband. I wanted to be sealed to someone who honored and respected the relationship we had and someone who truly loved me for who I was. I’m not sure I can explain why I felt the way I did other than I was once again worried I was doing something that was wrong for many people including my children. When the process was complete, I I was able to say that Chad was mine for eternity, and all of these feelings were worth it. 

This morning, I was listening to President Oaks’ talk from this last conference, and I felt a confirmation that I had done the right thing in 2018. The ex and I have absolutely no desire to be in a relationship with each other (we have both remarried). He does not live by the teachings of the Church. I strive to keep my covenants I have made. If I had not gone through this process, we would not be forced to be with each other for eternity. That would be torture! 

I am thankful for this talk and the other teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that have confirmed to me that I have made the right choices. I know that my Heavenly Father loves me and wants me to be happy. 

No comments: