Saturday, March 18, 2023

Tiny Hats



For one of my classes this semester, I needed to do 8 hours of service. This was hard for me because I had to get out of my comfort zone. I talked to the police captain of my town, and he suggested volunteering for the local victims' advocate agency. I looked at their website because I have thought about doing this anyway, but I would not have the time to work for them because it requires 12 hour shifts and a 12 month commitment once the training is complete. I may look further into it when I get closer to my internship, but this was not something I could do with my current schedule. I kept searching and even reached out to a local shelter with not response. With only a few weeks to go, I felt like I was running out of options (there is really not much available in my area). Then, I saw a post on Facebook in one of my crocheting groups that talked about Project Robby. This organization gives donated crocheted hat, blankets, and angel wings to babies born sleeping. It was created by a lady who had a baby born sleeping that was given a little hat about his size and kept it as a security item to remind her of him. As soon as I read her story, I wanted to do what I could to help. I sent an email right away to see what she needed and how I could help. Now, I am sitting making the smallest hats I have ever made, thinking about the mamas who don't get to bring these sweet babies home. It makes me sad that they have to face this difficult challenge, and I hope that they can be comforted, even if it is just a little bit, by the tiny hat she is given.  

No comments: