Friday, July 15, 2022

Micromanaged from Home

I have been working from home since March 2020. Unless I find a new job, this will not change. The company I work for decided this model works for them and let their office lease go at the end of last year. For the most part, it has worked great for me (I do get a bit of cabin fever sometimes). I have been free to work and take care of my family when needed. 

I work with numbers essentially making sure the customers are billed correctly. I was in the finance department until December when I went back to dispatch where I basically make sure pickup and delivery times are correct so that the bills are correct. (It’s a bit more complicated than that, but that is the easiest way to explain it.) I am a behind the scenes person, and I like it that way. I like knowing that the work I completed is done, and I like that no one else will mess it up. Most people don’t even want to deal with it at all. 

A few weeks ago, a new manager was hired after someone was promoted to VP of this department. This new manager, who is over both dispatch and customer service, has decided to try to micromanage where she can. How can she do that to a bunch of people working from home? Microsoft Teams. She sent out an email last week saying she wants everyone to put in the chat when they check in and out along with breaks and what they are working on. 

I understand that for a call center type setting, she would want to know that everyone is in their seats working. I don’t understand the lack of trust. I have been trusted to just get my work done for years. I’m not leaving my house during the workday. I am swamped with so much work that I am always playing catch-up. The manager directly above me knows what I am doing and why it is taking so long. This extra step is causing more problems for me because once I check in to one place, I forget to do it the other place. I have had to submit change reports for my time card three times this week. Most of the time I don’t have to do this at all. 

I am trying to accept this change with grace, but it’s stupid!


No comments: