Sunday, July 24, 2022

Religious Freedom

I have been thinking about the term “religious freedom” a lot lately. We hear it in the news, at church, on social media, etc. I feel like I’m some settings it has lost its real meaning as well as its impact. When I think of this gem, I think of our right to “how, where, and what we may.” Not only has this been taught to me all of my life, I fully believe it. 

I have friends and family members  of different faiths. Most of us are Christian of one denomination or another, but I have also had Wiccan, Jewish, Muslim, and Ashiest friends. In the past this has not been a problem for the most part. I cannot say I fully understand other faiths, but I am open to hearing about other faith traditions with respect. There were a few that upon discovering my religious affiliation decided they could no longer be friends with me which hurt, but I would rather they be honest about it than acting like they accept me and my beliefs just to put this part of me down continually.

Lately, this has changed a bit. I have noticed that there are people who preach religious freedom as a way to tell people who do not believe as they do that they are wrong. I don't believe this is what this term is supposed to mean. Why can we not all live together accepting other points of view? Am I uncomfortable with a Muslim woman wearing religious clothing in public? No. This is a reflection of her and who she is. Am I uncomfortable with a Jewish man wearing a Yakama? No. This shows is devotion to his faith. However, when I say that I believe in the sanctity of life in a discussion about assisted suicide citing religious and personal experiences, I am told I am called all kinds of names based on the religious portion of this. 

I should not be denied my right to believe in Jesus Christ because someone else is uncomfortable with it any more than someone else should be denied their beliefs. I should be allowed to talk about my beliefs freely as much as anyone else without the fear of being called horrible names. I should be allowed to teach my children my beliefs without them being told that I am not a good person based on these beliefs. 


No comments: