Thursday, July 28, 2022

Failed the Test

image credit: https://www.dreamstime.com/iron-fe-chemical-element-sign-d-rendering-isolated-white-background-science-experiments-classroom-camp-image151780862

Two days ago, Chad and I went to donate blood after I got off work. I knew that I had issues with iron during that time of the month in the past, and I suspected I was anemic this time around, too. I started taking iron pills Saturday night because I was feeling so light headed and remembered that this was one of the symptoms I had experienced in the past.

 I thought that I would be ok to donate blood by Tuesday, and I was no longer light headed when we left the house to go to the blood drive. We were quickly taken back for screening. Since we had done the prescreening online, all we had to do was have our vitals taken before donating. My temperature was good. My blood pressure was on the high side but normal. All that was left was testing my iron. It only needed to read over 12.5. The lady started with a finger on my left had. I scored an 11. She offered to test my right had to see if it would read higher and convinced me that it was a good idea. This time my score was higher: 11.7. It was frustrating, but I understood why they were not able to accept my donation at this time. I will try again when they come back up to Brighton again. 

What did I learn from this? First, I am lower in iron during that time than I thought. Second, I probably can't donate blood at certain times. Third, if someone gets declined due to low iron at a blood drive, they can search out another place to donate as soon as the next day (I am waiting a bit longer). 

No comments: