Thursday, July 7, 2022

These Kids

I love my children more than anything in the world. They know that I do, and they know that my love is unconditional. 

A few years ago, they fought a lot. They would often say they hated each other. Eric would say things like if he didn’t have to spend time with them, he wouldn’t. It would make me so sad and angry. I would remind them all of the times I wished my brother were still here, and tell them they needed to treat each other better because if something happened to one of them, they would wish they had been kinder. Often these speeches were met with eye rolls and snarky comments. 

Maybe they just needed more space or time to grow up a bit. They are not like that now. Now, they laugh and joke with each other. If one is hurting and the others know it, they try to help them. They will even defend their siblings if needed. 

I am loving watching this transition from enemy to friend! It has made all of the, “If my brother were alive…” conversations worth it. I hope this continues for many years. 

No comments: