Friday, February 13, 2009

3:45 P.M.

I had a realization today. It is not just because Eric gets home from school that he kids get crazy around that time. There is something in them that makes them jump off of furniture and yell everything they are saying and do "kung foo" moves on each other (yes the girls are just as bad as the boys). I had this realization because Eric did not have school today, but just like clock work they were all jumping off of the walls (almost literally). My solution was to make them put on their shoes and coats and go outside. They even got rewarded with hot chocolate upon their return. Sean thought he could skip the going outside part, but I stood my ground. They were aloud to come in when they were cold (I'm not cruel) and get their treat. Noel only lasted about 10 minutes (she doesn't like cold). Eric and Haley, the little girl I watch, stayed outside playing with each other for about a half hour. (I was surprised too!) Sean waited until all of the other kids were inside to go outside, but he still lasted about 20 minutes. They have been so much calmer since they came in. I just may do this everyday.

4 comments:

Jami said...

That's a crazy time for us, too! I'll have to pay attention next time they have a day off to see if it is just that time of day. I always thought it was because they've been couped up at school all day and well-behaved there, so now that they're together and home, they let loose and annoy me to pieces.

Krista said...

I think that's a great idea! Even if they're only out there for 10 minutes! Great thinking mom!

Mistaken said...

Good thinking! I often send my boys outside when they are obnoxious. When they come back in, if they are still obnoxious, I make them go out again. Kids need outside time. They sure don't get it at school

taradon said...

Sounds like a good plan to me - let them run around outside to get some of that extra energy out!