Thursday, February 26, 2009

Eric Update

So much has happened since Monday. I hope I can describe the last few day without rambling too much.

Let's start with Tuesday. That was the day when every thing changed. To start the day off, I couldn't even get Eric to leave the house. He hid under the couch, and then behind his bed. John got him out of hiding and talked to him. It was decided that Eric would stay home from school and I would go get his work and make him do it at home. I went to the school and asked for his work. The principal heard me and came out of his office to talk to me. He told me that he didn't agree with our decision and we were letting Eric win the battle. After talking to the principal for a while, he asked me to go get John and come back and they would find something for the kids to do. I went home and got the family and went back to school where we had the meeting that was planned for Thursday with just the principal. It was determined that maybe the teacher was the problem (of course) since we didn't have any problems in kindergarten with him going to school at all. We all decided that probably the best thing for him was to put him in a different class with a teacher that is willing to work with him and is more structured. We told Eric of the plan after lunch and he seemed hesitant, but happy.

Wednesday the plan was started into action. He had control of the morning (to an extent). Eric got up and got dressed first thing. He had said that he wanted to have breakfast at school so I let him play for about a half hour (have I mentioned that my kids get up early). When it was time to leave, he said he wanted Pop Tarts instead. We didn't have any so we went to the gas station in town (the closest thing we have to a grocery store in town) where I let him pick out his breakfast and drink. We then went to the school and he ate his Pop Tarts and drank his milk as we talked. I told him how long he had until we had to go into the school about every 5 minutes. He was ready to go in about 5 minutes early, but he was nervous. We went to the office, and the gal in the front office took us back to his new classroom where his stuff was waiting for him. We talked to the teacher for a few minutes and he was obviously excited to be there. The main thing I was impressed about was she was more prepared to deal with him than the other teacher was all year. This teacher obviously likes her job and is willing to work with each student where possible.

Today, we met with the new teacher before school. She told us her expectations and explained the motivation chart she had for him and a few other students that needed them. (Hmmm...something to help motivate the kids that need help with that. Do you think that is what some kids need in first grade?) After leaving her class, Eric decided he wanted to go home too. That was just not happening. I think that he was just trying to see if we would go for it since he got to stay home earlier this week. After standing at the gate to the playground for a long time, I took Eric to the front office and left him with the principal.

I hope that our plan works because I just don't think I have the energy to carry him in to the principal every morning until May 22. I guess at least I am getting a work out that way. It would be even more of a work out if I were to carry him the two blocks rather than lock him in the car.

2 comments:

Mistaken said...

I think if you stand your ground now, he will do fine. I'm sure he's just testing you now. He has a good teacher now and once he knows the limits I think he'll have a good time and maybe start enjoying school and learning again. It might also be hard because Sean and Noel get to stay home every day. That was hard for Sarah. She didn't mind so much once Adam had to go to school. It didn't seem so unfair that way.

taradon said...

I hope that the new teacher makes a big difference! Sometimes there's just such a mis-match in personality and style that you just can't get past it, but it sounds like the new teacher is really willing to work at things. It sounds like the principal is really trying to help things work out, too.