Friday, February 20, 2009

Lesson Learned


OK. I have had people ask about the burns on my legs. Considering I put most of the details I am willing to share on facebook, this may be a review for many people reading this.


I was looking for an alternative to shaving because I didn't want to have to bring a razor on my mini-vacation in a few week. I was so excited to try it. My sister used to use Nair all of the time and swore by it. I saw that this package of Veet was on clearance for $5.75. I went ahead and bought it.


Wednesday night I was so excited that I would have the chance to try it. I go the kids to bed and went into the bathroom and found my newest treasure. I read enough of the instructions to know how to put it on and how long to leave it on. I did see that the longest part of the instructions was labeled "precautions". I just figured that part was the dumby rules that I didn't need. I knew it was for external use only. What more did I need to know? The answer to that question is I needed to know not to use that product within 72 hours of shaving. OH NO! Since I didn't have the time before church on Sunday, I had shaved my thighs on either Monday or Tuesday (which ever day it was bugging me). That was not long enough. The result was my legs started to burn. I quickly washed the rest of the cream off of my legs. When it wasn't coming off fast enough, I got a bar of soap and a wash cloth to aid my efforts. When I knew that the stuff was all off, I got a big cup of water and continually dumped water on my thighs. I was in some real pain.


Thursday I spent most of the day in pain and very tired because I hadn't slept much the night before. The heat and pain in my legs made the rest of my body cold. I didn't even think of taking Advil until after my nap. The Advil helped. Eventually I figured out that despite my natural response pain, the more I moved the better my legs felt.


This morning I noticed that I have scabs where my burns were. The funny thing is that the parts that hurt the most, have the least scabs.


The lesson to be learned from this lesson is READ ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS.

4 comments:

Jami said...

I didn't realize how badly hurt you were! Scabs???? OUCH! From a chemical burn, even. That just sounds so painful! Are you better now?

Druciana said...

I am better now. I actually can laugh about it now, which is good because my husband started laughing about it yesterday.

Krista said...

OUCH!!! That just sounds painful! I didn't really realize that you could get so badly hurt from Veet or Nair! Scary!

Dawn said...

Oh, my! I've never been burned by the stuff before. I don't use it because for some reason it just doesn't work on me. I had no idea you could get burns like that from the stuff!