Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why Do I Get Up So Early?

I have had a few people make comments about my goal of getting up at 5:30. Am I insane to want this or do I have a purpose? The answer may be both. I really do have an objective in all of this. I have certain goals that are near impossible to accomplish while my children are away, and by the time they go to bed I no longer have the motivation to try to get those things done. Here is a basic outline of what I try to accomplish in the morning and what the rest of my day is like.

5:30 (ish)
wake-up and take medicine
Prayer Journal
Read Scriptures
Scripture Journal
Personal Journal
6:00 or 6:15 (depending on when I finally drag myself out of bed an how long the journals take)
exercise (while John is home for a while I am walking)
6:45 (ish)
at least one of my kids is up and ready for "cuddle time"
cuddle each child
7:00
make sure any children still sleeping get woken up (usually it is just Eric at this point)
cuddle with that child
7:15
breakfast
make kids get dressed
make Eric's lunch
make sure kids brush their teeth
get Eric to school by 8:15 (luckily Eric has been riding to school with his friend Ethan lately)
8:15 or 8:30 (depending on if I take Eric to school or he gets a ride)
work-out with friend
start a movie for Sean and Noel
take a shower
clean kitchen
clean dining room
clean living room
and the list of stuff needed to be cleaned goes on

The rest of my day varies depending on the day and who needs to be picked up, what bills need to be paid and the other things that make life fun. Before I know it, it is time to pick up Eric from school and get him started on homework.

Remembering my days in high school being told that I couldn't do a report saying that my chosen profession would be a mom because that is not a real job just makes me laugh. I know that moms that work outside the home are busy too, but I do have a real job right here taking care of my home and my kids. I am have more resoponsibility now than I ever did before. I get paid in love.

4 comments:

Mistaken said...

When you list it out like this, the tasks seem daunting. I wish I could get up early like you. I would have to go to bed a lot earlier. Keep up the good work.

Jami said...

Yeah, I'll keep sleeping in. Just thinking about doing all that that early makes me want to sleep! lol

I LOVE that last paragraph! I think it's dumb they wouldn't let you do a report on that. What's this world coming to?? It's obvious just by looking at the world that not enough moms stay home! Go you!

taradon said...

I have always hated the distinction people make between "working" moms and "stay-at-home" moms. Moms who are working at home are still working hard. Moms who go to an outside job can still be good moms.

Druciana said...

I don't think a mom is any less of a mom if she works. Sometimes that is just the way it needs to be. I also don't think that I am a bum who doesn't do anything because I stay home with my kids. That is what works best for my family right now.

I have always wanted to be a mom. That is what I am good at (I think).

I don't want this to become a debate on what decision is better. As moms that care about our children, we do what we feel is right for our individual families.