Thursday, February 23, 2023

Introverted Problems

I am an introvert, for the most part. I have been for as long as I can remember. In my preschool report card (I do still have it), I was marked down because I would rather play in a group of two or three rather than with the class. I am still this way in many ways. I also dread meeting new people. What if they don't like me? What if they think I'm weird? What if I am just not good enough to hang out with them? Some of these what ifs keep me from meeting new people that I later find out I would have really gotten along with, and sometimes they keep me from getting to know people I have already met better. I like to be included in things but fear the actual mingling part of it. 

This semester I have a class that really stretches my comfort level. I have an assignment in which I am supposed to go to a service club, such as Lions Club or the like, meeting. I could not find one in my area and got permission to go to a town hall meeting (thank goodness). Another assignment has me doing eight hours of service. I have known about this one for many weeks. I now have three weeks to complete it, and I get scared each time I think of reaching out to a local shelter or the victims advocacy group to find out if there is something I can do. At this point, I am hoping I can count making preemie hats for babies. The next assignment that has me shaking is one in which I need to interview two people who run nonprofit organizations. I have already texted my amazing cousin who founded and runs Foster Love which provides a "shopping" experience for foster kids at no cost to them or the families. I need to find another nonprofit that gives service to families or children in the next few weeks and set up a specific time to talk to Amber. (That is really hard for me.) Sometimes I wonder why I was lead to this major. I am sure I will be shown the why, but that won't happen if I let my fears get to me. 

I do not hate people. I love people. I love collecting their stories. Unfortunately, I live under the assumption that people do not like me or wouldn't like me if they got to know me.  

No comments: