Sunday, October 2, 2022

General Conference Impressions

General Conference this weekend was wonderful! I think I got more out of it than ever before because I have spent time to prepare. I have heard many times that we need to prepare ourselves for conference, but I don't think I understood what that meant in the past. A few years ago, I listened to all of the Standard Works between the October conference and the April Conference. It was a bit of a preparation, but this time it felt different. 

I have spent about the last couple of months listening to many conference talks, praying, and listening to and reading The Book of Mormon. Also, for the past week I have spent my time creating a conference journal. I don't think any of this specifically prepared me. I think it was the combination of all of it. The conference talks, praying, and The Book of Mormon prepared me spiritually. Preparing the journal gave me something to keep my attention on what was being said. 

I enjoyed the inspirational messages shared for the past two days. I heard messages on ministering as Christ would, growing my testimony, sharing the gospel, how to stay close to and trust in Christ, how to treat others and help them feel they belong with us, and more. 

There were two talks that struck a special spot for me. First, President Nelson spoke out against abuse especially when it came to women and children. As he spoke poignantly against it, tears came to my eyes. Then, Elder Ulisses Soares spoke about equality in marriage. He said that neither the role of provider or nurturer is above the other, and the roles should overlap. He said that husband and wife should walk together with respect, gratitude, and love.  Talks like these speak to my heart and help me with my resolve to help other women know they do not have to accept being treated like I thought I had to for many years. We deserve to be respected and loved and treated as equals. It is not just the world's way, it is the Lord's way. 

No comments: