Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Groceries

Groceries have gotten so expensive! I hate when they talk about inflation in the news, but it is hard to ignore the fact that we are spending $50 to $100 more per week than we did this time last year. Our goal used to be to try to stay around or under (off possible) $200. That is not even possible anymore. 

I remember a time when I had to figure out how to buy groceries (including diapers) with maybe $60 for the week. I remember the ever shrinking budget as more vehicles were purchased. I remember going through the humiliation of using WIC checks as people complained about how long it took. I am very thankful to not be in that position again. 

As the prices continue to rise drastically, I am thankful that Chad and I both have jobs that allow us to purchase the food we need and want. I am thankful for the time when I was on an insanely strict budget and learned how to find a deal. I may every once in a while still hear, “There is nothing to eat!” from a teenager, but I am glad that is no longer true. I can now show them the options we have even if they don’t agree with those options. 

What does $300 of weekly groceries look like for our family?




Of course that includes any food we already had before shopping and doesn’t include the freezer. By next Monday, most of it will be gone, and we will start over again. 

Do I starve my children? No. Do they sometimes act like I do? Yes. That’s the joy of motherhood. Right?

1 comment:

Mistaken said...

it's sad that that's all you get for $300. I spend almost $600 a month and my kids eat most of their meals out with their own money. It's pathetic. I eat most of the food. Of course, I eat a lot of meat and cheese and that's the most expensive - plus Keto food that costs a ton. It's all sad