Wednesday, July 19, 2023

This is 45

I spent a few years dreading turning 43 and 44. I didn’t want to be the same age as or older than my mom, but it is  better than the alternative. This year I let myself enjoy my birthday. I get to live longer than my mom and enjoy things in this life she didn’t have to opportunity to experience. 

This year, we went on a camping trip at Jackson Lake which is only a lost 45 minutes up the highway from us. We got there Sunday night and came home Tuesday (my birthday) which was the perfect amount of time. Chad, Noel, and I spent a few hours in the lake before lunch on Monday while Sean found a hiding spot in the trees to read. After lunch, I played card games with Sean while Chad and Noel went back to the lake. Those of us in swimsuits ended up sunburned and dehydrated, but we were better enough by bedtime. After we were all settled for the night, some raccoons unzipped our car top bag and stole our remaining breakfast food (the rest of the food was put away in the car). This made our decision for us to leave first thing in the morning rather than hang out at the lake for the morning and get fast food on the way home. Overall, we all had fun including the one that would rather read than play in the water. 

That night, we met up with Eric and his girlfriend at Red Robin for dinner followed by games back at home. I love my kids and love having them around me the most. 

I don’t know everything that will happen at 45. I know I will graduate from college with my bachelor’s degree in Marriage and family studies. I am excited to find out what else is in store for me!

No comments: