Sunday, July 23, 2023

What Does it Mean?

I am one of those people who watch and read the news on a regular basis. I want h more than one channel and/or read from multiple sources because it is near impossible to find a story that is not slanted in one way or another. Today, one story was the same no matter where I turned. The Barbie Movie had the biggest opening of any female directed movie raking in about $155 million in North America. Oppenheimer had a big opening as well grossing $80.5 million. 

There has been a concern about movies in theaters losing money since the pandemic. I think these numbers prove that the problem isn’t that we don’t want to see movies in the theaters. We want to see original movies. 

Yes, I loved Maverick, but didn’t like the attempts at recreating certain scenes. Other than that, I am tired of the recreation of or added sequels to movies from the past. Did we need another Indiana Jones? No. (My daughter said it sucked.) Another Mission Impossible? No. (They weren’t that good to begin with.) How about Teen Wolf? I never saw the first one or the TV series. Does Disney need to keep making “live action” remakes? Definitely not! Do we need another Marvel movie? Please, no! 

We don’t want the same old stuff we have been watching since childhood. Give us nostalgia with a new, creative approach. Give us something to help us escape. Give us something we will want to see over and over. (I would love to see The Barbie Movie again.) I know some like the movies based on true stories. Keep making those. We will watch them, too. 

(I know there is a writer and actor strike right now, but it won’t last forever.)

No comments: